Why read this summer?
The MSAW Middle/High Summer Reading Club is about having fun. According to the American Library Association, benefits to reading over the summer include:
- encouragement that reading become a lifelong habit.
- reluctant readers can be drawn in by choosing what they want to read.
- reading over the summer helps children keep up their skills and build new ones.
- reading for pleasure can generate interest in the library and books
How to motivate a reluctant reader?
- Choice is essential. Read a book that interests you.
- Set aside time to read. Do you have a chunk of time in your day to read?
- Read comic books. They count, too.
- Read with a headlamp and stay up late.
- Don’t know what to read? Get help. Ask a librarian or bookstore employee for suggestions.
- Get a library card to use voraciously.